3 Day Aboriginal Awakening
Perth - Kojonup - Nannup - Yallingup - Perth
Learn about the Aboriginal history and culture of Australia's South West on a three-day tour of the region.
- Travel from Perth to the 'Place of Stone Axe' (Kojonup) and The Kodja Place, where you can learn about the history of local Aboriginals and European settlers, before exploring the historic farming town. As you travel, take note of town names ending in 'up' which derives from Aboriginal language meaning 'place of'.
- On day two, head towards the coast and the Blackwood River Valley, passing through the ‘Place of Smoke’ (Boyup Brook) to the ‘Stopping Place’ (Nannup).
- Visit the ‘Place of Love’ (Yallingup), where you’ll hear dreamtime stories and learn the customs of the Wardandi people at the Wardan Aboriginal Centre.
- Call into Wonnerup House on your return to Perth and learn the tale of the Layman family.
5 Day Discovery
Perth - Albany - Walpole - Manjimup - Busselton - Perth
Take time to experience and discover the history and culture of Australia's South West on a five-day journey.
- Journey south from Perth to Kojonup and learn about the history and culture of the local Aboriginal people at The Kodja Place.
- Continue on to Albany, where the first European settlement in Western Australia was established. Many fascinating historic sites and buildings can be found in and around the city.
- On day two continue along the southern coastline to explore the ancient trees of the Valley of the Giants.
- Along the way, stop by some of the local galleries and admire the creations of local artisans.
- Stay overnight in Walpole before heading north to the timber towns of Pemberton and Manjimup.
- Visit the Manjimup Timber Park for a fascinating insight into the town’s logging history.
- Journey through the Blackwood River Valley, stopping at historic homesteads and galleries along the way. Head to the village of Nannup and on to Busselton.
- Visit the historic Busselton Jetty and Wardan Aboriginal Centre in Yallingup.
- Head back to Perth via Bunbury the next day, passing through Harvey, where there is a replica of Stirling's Cottage - the childhood home of author May Gibbs.
Road Safety Tip
Scenic drives are signposted throughout the region. When driving through our old growth forests or on gravel roads, drive with care according to the road and weather conditions. See Road Safety for more useful driving tips.