The Ferguson Valley is a picturesque agricultural hinterland where traditional farming enterprises like beef and dairy production have been joined in more recent times by a now thriving tourism industry.
Located just a 15-minute drive from Bunbury, the historic town of Dardanup marks the entrance to the Ferguson Valley. There are fifteen heritage sites in the township, including the church and post office, and a heritage park with an incredible collection of memorabilia.
While in the valley, be sure to visit the quirky, growing number of gnomes who call the region home. Gnomesville is the magical home of over 3000 Gnomes who have migrated from all over Australia and overseas. Located by the roundabout at the junction of Wellington Mill and Ferguson Roads, Gnomesville offers magical experience as you wander through villages and glades full of playful, naughty and sentimental Gnomes climbing logs, hanging out in trees, playing cricket, even flying planes!
As you drive along steep winding roads further into the Ferguson Valley, the views will take your breath away. An impressive backdrop of lush green rolling hills dotted with cows and ribbons of vines, as this valley plays host to burgeoning wine region. Sample wines from intimate cellar doors (there’s about eight to choose from), or sit down to a beer from a craft brewery.
Top things to do in the Ferguson Valley
- Take a gnome to add to the growing number at Gnomesville, or walk through and enjoy the gnomish puns left by other visitors.
- Start your day with a bushwalk or mountain bike ride. The scenery is stunning, and those hills will get the heart rate going!
- Visit the Dardanup Heritage Park - one of Australia’s finest collections of heritage items dedicated to our pioneering past, including a steam/diesel sawmill, mill settlement, engines, tractors, dozers, horse-drawn equipment and military memorabilia.
- Explore walk trails or enjoy a picnic by the billabong in Crooked Brook Forest, an area of jarrah forest that is nurtured by a proud group of local volunteers. The forest is promoted as a ‘Forest for all People’ with facilities provided to ensure it is accessible to all.
- Spend some time exploring the art offerings of the valley. There are several local galleries and studios including the 5th Element Pottery & Glass Studio, Ferguson Hart Estate, The Lyndendale Gallery, Evedon Park Bush Retreat and Elliott Smith Sculptures & Glass Studio.
Ferguson Valley Drive Trails
Click here for some itinerary inspiration in the Ferguson Valley and surrounds.