National parks are thriving with unique flora and fauna, much of it found nowhere else in the world. The town itself is surrounded by karri, marri and jarrah forest and is close to three of the region’s national parks; Warren, D'Entrecasteaux and Shannon (Header image of Northcliffe Forest by Wendy Eiby).
Right in the heart of Northcliffe, ‘Understory‘ is an art trail that provides an opportunity to view world class outdoor sculptures scattered through an attractive, 1.2 kilometre bush trail. A range of audio tours explain the pieces of art.
Energetic visitors will enjoy the 187 metre climb up the granite outcrop that forms nearby Mount Chudalup; a granite monolith in the popular D’Entrecasteaux National Park, with outstanding views of forests and coastline. The massive block of granite is surrounded by a sea of karri and marri forest.
Top things to do in Northcliffe and surrounds
- Head to Point D’Entrecasteaux. One of the only accessible bits of this coast by 2WD vehicles, Point D’Entrecasteaux offers scenic walks and viewing platforms with spectacular views over the limestone cliffs and the ocean beyond. Keep an eye out for migrating whales and seals from the lookouts.
- Take a drive to Windy Harbour, 27km south of Northcliffe, where you can enjoy a swim in the sheltered beach at Cathedral Rock. During salmon season, you can fish off the beach, yet beach and boat fishing are popular here all year round.
- Visit Understory – Art in Nature and take the easy 1.2-kilometre walking trail, which is particularly pretty in wildflower season.
- Popular recreational activities include salmon fishing, mountain biking and bushwalking along pleasant tracks that follow picturesque coastline or wind through majestic karri forests.
- Don’t miss out on Lane Poole Falls and Boorara Tree accessible by a five-kilometre walking trail.
- Take the 1.5-kilometre Summit Walk Trail and climb to Mt Chudalup for 360 degree views over the surrounding karri forest and coast.