South West Road Trips
Australia’s South West offers a destination of diversity. Experience it all by travelling the entire length of the region, or design your own self-drive journey. It can take you a couple of days or better still a couple of weeks. Enjoy a gourmet getaway, or get immersed in nature; the possibilities are endless!
Geographically, this unique region comprises many contrasting landscapes; from ancient mountain ranges and rugged granite headlands along the south coast, to the towering karri trees and hills in the Southern Forests and Valleys and a network of spectacular caves nearby unspoilt coastlines in Margaret River further to the west. The regions’ best attractions are dotted in and around country towns and vast national parks harbouring some of the world’s most unique flora and fauna.
Free yourself with the epic South West Edge hero route is a 12 day adventure that traverses 1200km from Perth to Esperance, a road trip that will fill your lungs, leave you in awe, and have you breathing more deeply. It feeds your soul with discovery and wonderment; every turn giving you a new experience.
Driving advice for the South West
Driving in the south west is easy, as there’s plenty of open road and little traffic. You do need to keep alert though, as you’re driving on country roads, and often for long stretches at a time. Remember these simple guidelines to ensure a safe trip:
- Vehicles are not the only road users in the South West
- Try to avoid travel at dawn and dusk as this is when wildlife is most active.
- If you see an animal on the road in front of you brake firmly in a straight line and sound your horn. Do not swerve as it is safer to stay on the road.
- The blood alcohol concentration (BAC) limit for driving in Australia is 0.05.
- If you’re planning to sample wines, beers or liquor, be sure to nominate a Designated Driver.
- The maximum speed limit in WA is 110 kilometres per hour.
- With a maximum of 50 kilometres per hour in built-up areas such as towns and estates.
Start planning where to go and what to do on your road trip in Australia’s South West today!
Road Trip Inspiration
Highlights of the South West Road Trip
Art Lover’s Road Trip
The South West Edge Road Trip
Villages in the Valley Road Trip
South West Foodie Road Trip
#MelbstoMargs Road Trip
More road trip itineraries
Design your own self-drive holiday through Australia’s South West.