The town of Broomehill was established after the completion of the Great Southern Railway in 1889. Prior to this, Eticup, a coach stop on the old Albany Road (now Broomehill-Kojonup Road) was the only town in the area. At the gate of ‘Eticup’ farm there is a plaque identifying the layout of the town. It is hard to imagine that this once thriving community with stores, an inn, blacksmiths and dwellings, packed up and moved 8km east to establish the new town site of Broomehill.
Tambellup’s original settler was Mr Josiah Norrish, who took up property east of the present town site in 1872. Mr Norrish originally concentrated on sandalwood cutting but later became involved in sheep breeding. Following the opening of the Great Southern Railway line in 1889, settlers began to arrive and the townsite was declared in 1899.
Broomehill – Tambellup is also part of The Great Southern Treasures.